Skip Global Navigation to Main Content
Skip Breadcrumb Navigation

I need to renew my child(ren)’s passport.  Can I do that in Lyon or do I have to go up to Paris?

You can definitely apply for passports in Lyon.  We will take the application and send the file to Paris.  You need to make an appointment before coming to the Consulate by calling at 04 78 38 33 03 or sending an email to  

I need to renew my passport.  Do I have to come to your office?

If your passport is a 10-year valid passport, has not expired more than 5 years ago and has not been damaged or mutilated, you can renew it by mail by sending your application directly to our Embassy in Paris:   Do NOT send your application to the United States.

My passport was stolen and I need it to get back to the U.S. soon. What should I do?

If your passport has been lost, stolen, damaged or mutilated, and your travel is imminent, you should make an online appointment at the Embassy in Paris for the next business day.  Customers without appointments may be seen after applicants with appointments.  If all appointments for that day are taken, the U.S. Embassy will accept your application on a walk-in basis. 

I just had a baby in France.  What must I do to register its birth?

You will have to come to the Consulate with the baby and, if you apply for a passport at the same time, the father will have to be here too since both parents must sign the passport application form for a minor under 16.  See instructions provided by our Embassy that are valid for every posts:   Remember to make an appointment before coming to the Consulate by calling at 04 78 38 33 03 or sending an email to

I just had a baby but I’m not sure I can transmit my US citizenship.  If I cannot, is there any possibility my child can be American?

Yes, your child can be American thanks to the Child Citizenship Act of 2000.

The Child Citizenship Act of 2000

If you are an American citizen but do not have enough physical presence to transmit your U.S. nationality to your child, please refer to the following website page concerning the Child Citizenship Act of 2000:  

The Child Citizenship Act of 2000 allows certain foreign-born, biological and adopted children of American citizens to acquire American citizenship automatically. These children did not acquire American citizenship at birth, but they are granted citizenship when they enter the United States as lawful permanent residents (LPRs). An immigrant visa for your child is required for this purpose. Please follow this link:

I’m a US citizen.  I came to France without a visa but I would like to stay here to work/study.  Can you help me get a visa and/or residence permit?

No, the Consulate cannot help you on this.  If you came without a visa, you are authorized to stay 90 days as a tourist.  If you want to work or study in France, you must go back to the US and apply for a visa at the nearest French Consulate.


U.S. citizens planning to enter and visit France for a maximum of 3 months (90 days) as tourists do not require a visa under the visa waiver program, and are permitted to remain in the country only for that period of time. You may refer to the website of the French Embassy for further information.

All questions concerning overstaying a visit on the French visa waiver program must be addressed directly to the French Embassy or Consulate in the United States: fax 202 944 6212, or by e-mail,  or contact the préfecture nearest your residence in France. The Embassy or Consulate are not in a position to intercede with French authorities on behalf of Americans seeking visas, visa exemptions and work permits, or answer questions concerning a specific case.

For more information, please refer to  

I'm looking for a job in France. Can the Consulate help me find one?

No, we have no list of job announcements and cannot help you  to find a job.

I’m going to get married to a French citizen.  What shall I do, which documents do I have to provide?

You must get in touch with the City Hall of the place where you are going to get married.  They will give you the list of all the documents required.  You can also consult the following page on our Embassy website:

You can obtain the "certificat de celibat" and the "certificat de coutumes" at the Consulate.

I just got married.  What shall I do to register my marriage in the US?

Registration of marriages pronounced in France must be made at the county court nearest your residence in the United States.

I want to contract a PACS in France.  What shall I do?  Will it be recognized in the US?

For a PACS (Pacte civil de solidarité) please contact the Tribunal d’Instance in your area in order to obtain information and a list of required documents. You can also refer to following page on our Embassy website:

The PACS agreement is only recognized by the French government. This agreement is NOT recognized in the United States and will not entitle the non-U.S. citizen to preferential visa status or U.S. citizenship.

The City Hall wants my birth certificate to be translated.  Do you provide translation services?

No, we do not do translations at the Consulate.  You need to get in touch with a sworn translator.  See our list:  

I have documents that must be notarized.  Where can I find a notary public in France?

Only Consular Officers can act as notaries public outside the United States. You need to come to the Consulate after having made an appointment by calling at 04 78 38 33 03 or sending an email to   You will need to bring your documents (do NOT sign them in advance), your US passport and your credit card to pay the fee ($50 per signature).  If you need witnesses, you will have to bring them with you.

I am an American citizen living in France. Can I still vote in U.S. elections?

Yes, you can still vote by absentee ballot.  See the Embassy website:

Do you provide tax forms?  Can you help me file my tax return?

Tax forms are available online at   We cannot help you file your returns but for information, or if you have any questions, you can also contact the IRS at the Embassy in Paris ( or consult the IRS website at

I need to apply for a US Social Security number / I got married and I want to change my name on my Social Security card.  Can I do this in Lyon or do I have to go to Paris?

You can do this in Lyon and we will forward your application to the Social Security section in Paris.  Don’t forget to make an appointment with us first (by calling at 04 78 38 33 03 or sending an email to